Contract Entrepreneur · Phoenix, Arizona · Nov 2009 to present
Networked at business round tables, Chambers of Commerce and professional associations, developing strategic allegiances for non-profits, civic initiatives and funding entrepreneurial projects.
• Documented existing conditions for separate renovation projects for LuPe Designs and Herb Hacker, AIA, and lease stacking plans for a speculative mixed use project for Proteus West.
• Researched financial resources and project opportunities to create a new architecture and urban design partnership, Fourward Architecture.
• Reviewed completed projects to assure compliance with rebate programs.
Advocacy Committee · Phoenix, Arizona · 2006 to present
Severed as Vice-Chair of the Advocacy Committee to develop the Chapter’s Policy Position and “How to Take Action” papers. Serve as Liaison to the National Organization for Advocacy and Campaign initiatives.
• Organized efforts to support SB 1403, giving updates to membership concerning changes in Green codes and Legislation.
• Planned and organized the First Annual Member Meeting.
• Appointed to serve on Governing Council
Political Campaign Coordinator and Organizer · Phoenix, Arizona · Apr 2003 to present
Canvassed door to door to register voters, collect signatures and Arizona Clean Elections forms for candidates, and to get out the vote. Recruited, trained and managed volunteers to become Precinct Committeemen. Organized and composed the By-Laws for many political committees, caucuses and clubs. Consulted on multiple campaigns with an expertise on environmental and urban design issues.
• Field Organizer of Precinct Committeeman in Arizona Legislative District 5 in 2004.
• Developed, designed and arranged training materials and sessions across Southern Arizona.
• Judged random hand count sample of the 2012 State of Arizona Presidential Preference Election to verify Electronic Results.
Intern Advocate & Program Developer · Saint Louis, Missouri · 1997 to present
Programmed Inaugural Intern/Associates’ State Conferences for AIA Arizona, AIA Louisiana and the Texas Society of Architects. Developed and coordinated Continuing Education programs for AIA St. Louis, AIA New Orleans, AIA Houston and AIA Phoenix Metro. Organized Arizona ArchiPAC “Breakfast of Champions” fundraisers for supported political candidates. Designed and published AIA New Orleans Newsletter and Meeting Notices.
• Developed a mentoring sessions with Steven Erhlich, FAIA and Samuel Mockbee, FAIA, at the AIA Louisiana “On the Ledge” Conference.
• Appointed AIA Phoenix Metro Phoenix Section Chair to develop programs with City of Phoenix Departments (including a Phoenix College Revit Bootcamp) and tour recent projects.
• Drafted AIA St. Louis letter of support for the renovation of the historic Statler and Lenox Hotels to become the new St. Louis Convention Center hotel. The letter was the cited by the National Parks Service for why the project was selected for integral tax credits for its completion.
Lead Generation and Territorial Sales Manager · Burbank, California · Jan 2011 to Jul 2011
Directed business development and lead generation across the Southwest. Tabled at professional society meetings and conferences to establish and develop relationships with architects and general contractors. Represented the Major Industries product line in the Southern California market, delivering lunch and learn presentations about innovations in day-lighting.
• Design and delivered portfolio presentations for interviewing with General Contractors. The presentations led to the immediate generation of bidding opportunities.
• Researched, prioritized and created a calendar of conferences and professional meetings to create a marketing schedule for senior staff to build relationships with existing and new clients.
• Resolved bid communication problem that were causing Romanoski to miss out on project opportunities. Refined bid room searches to generate more appropriate responses and coordinated contact information that was clear and direct.
NRFU Enumerator Replacement Trainee · Phoenix, Arizona · In 2010
Trained to locate listed addresses in the Assignment Area, to conduct interviews determining the status of each address on Census Day and record the information provided by the respondent.
Architectural Job Captain · Phoenix, Arizona · Sep 2007 to Aug 2009
Conducted facility conditions assessments to determine maintenance and renovation schedules for the US Air Force in Texas and South Carolina. Directed, trained and mentored staff in the design and construction of retail buildings. Modified retail roll out prototype designs to meet local building codes and design review comments.
• Mitigated a mutually agreeable solution to a FDC issue between the Fire Marshall, contractor and the architectural design.
• Trained and mentored staff in facilities assessment and surveys, receiving commendations from Armstrong Development for our thoroughness.
• Received commendations from CVS/pharmacy for our thoroughness in facilities assessment and surveys of stores acquired through mergers with other pharmacies.
Project Manager · Phoenix, Arizona · Apr 2005 to Sep 2007
Managed the design and construction documents for turnkey commercial, warehouse and retail projects. Worked closely with consultants to coordinate designs to meet client’s needs, including meetings to work out details. Cawley was the primary design firm for a design-build contractor.
• Attended jurisdictional staff and public meetings for the client, to ensure compliance with city requirements and resolution of public issues.
• Master planned several multi-building complexes, creating a coherent and comprehensive sense of place.
• Managed the firm’s only 5 story steel structure, designed to maximize the leasable Class A office space and structural efficiency. Worked closely with the structural engineer to detail attachments for the signature cantilevered, radial curtain wall, the parapet sunscreen and the suspended entry doors.
Political Campaign Field Canvasser · Tucson, Arizona · Sep 2004 to Oct 2004
Canvassed micro-targeted voters to conduct interviews, document results, and get out the vote.
Deputy Southern Arizona Campaign Coordinator · Tucson, Arizona · Jun 2003 to Feb 2004
Coordinated canvas walks, phone banks, events, and travel for out of state volunteers and staff for the 2004 Presidential Preference Primary. Volunteered for the Southern Arizona Coordination Committee, organizing fundraisers, Meetups and outreach events. Spoke and tabled for the campaign at Party meetings and clubs.
• Arranged transportation to campaign and Democratic Party events, now a staple of the Pima County Party, and for the Southwestern Voter Express.
• Designed and produced district and voter specific messages and campaign literature.
• Organized the largest political rally in Pima County to that point.
Architectural Designer · Tucson, Arizona · Feb 2003 to Jun 2003
Designed and developed construction documents for residential, commercial and urban redevelopment projects, including mechanical and electrical designs. Guided projects through the city submittal process.
• Documented, site surveyed and field assessed historic properties to convert them from industrial use to multi-family loft homes
• Designed details for a multi-building office condominium complex to serve as a prototype.
• Resolved design issues for the conversion of a historic Fraternity facility into apartments.
Architect in Training · Houston, Texas · Sep 2000 to Aug 2002
Programmed, space planned, designed and administered contracts for science and research facilities for public and private universities in Texas.
• Coordinated CAD layering and pen weights, and documents on firm’s FTP site for a 170,000 gsf science and research laboratory at the University of Texas.
• Resolved a dimensional issue for a laboratory tenant improvement through forensic investigation of documents. Resolution was to reduce the size of a researcher’s office space.
• Developed a mentoring program involving site visits, travelogues and exhibition tours.
Telecommunication Collocation Project Coordinator · New Orleans, Louisiana · Apr 1999 to Jun 2000
Developed space plans and construction documents for telecommunications facilities, academic building and corporate tenant improvements. Site surveyed buildings and parking facilities for renovation. Now Mathes Brierre Architects.
• Managed the Bellsouth collocation program, reducing response time from 3 weeks to hours, by improving our communications technology and client relations to better develop space plans, cost estimates and facilities assessments.
• Documented and scanned important projects from the firm’s extensive portfolio to redesign project winning marketing and firm sponsored seminar materials.
• Developed 3-D CAD models to base marker renderings for a competition entry.
Residential Design-Build Draftsman · New Orleans, Louisiana · Oct 1998 to Mar 1999
Designed single family, “Southern Style,” custom homes for the Gulf Coast region. Designs included lighting, electrical and framing layouts. The most popular designs were adapted for on-line home plan sales.
• Developed and maintained CAD Library of most common details to improve productivity.
• Researched rigid steel frame construction and adapted the technology to match our New Orleans based aesthetic.
• Designed model homes for a subdivision.
Architectural Intern · Saint Louis, Missouri · Sep 1996 to Jun 1998
Employed in the Corporate and Education Studio where I developed space plans and construction documents for school, religious and research facilities, and hospitality and corporate tenant improvements. Developed material and finish boards, color pencil renderings, bluelines, and CAD models for design development.
• Created a continuing education and mentoring program involving architectural tours, lectures, and discussions around PBS videos .
• Established CAD standards as organization switched from AES to AutoCAD R13. Reviewed Softdesk 8.
• Identified and photographed key sustainable design elements for a Grant reporting.
Living Environments Committee · Saint Louis, Missouri · 1997 to 1998
Planned and developed programs, to create grassroots efforts by young professions to stay and revitalize St. Louis through entrepreneurship and arts.
• Plotted a Bike Route along city streets to connect Forest Park, Grand Center, St. Louis University, downtown and the Arch.
• Led small group discussions about the revitalization of Downtown St. Louis for Downtown Now!
• Painted murals on boarded up buildings to create visual interest in revitalization.
Graphic Design / Desktop Publisher · St. Louis, Missouri · Sep 1996 to Nov 1996
Graphic designed final exhibits for two Assistant Professors dissertation, Projecting Detroit (Quark Xpress and Adobe Photoshop). Desktop published Projecting Detroit for publication in the architectural journal Assemblage. (Adobe Pagemaker 6.0)
College Work Study Administration · St. Louis, Missouri · Aug 1992 to Sep 1996
• Office Assistant to the School of Fine Art’s Dean’s Assistant, 1992 – 1995
Filed and maintained confidential information, including: payroll; donor and alumni personal information; and faculty, staff and students records. Created a summer position to develop a system to review, sort, and document, files and historical artifacts in the school’s archive, for preservation and destruction.
• School of Architecture Shop Monitor, 1994 – 1996
Instructed and assisted students in the proper use of shop equipment and tools. Inventoried, cleaned and maintained equipment and equipment. Designed, fabricated and refurbished: computer workstations, modular steel table stands, conference tables. Cleaned, maintained and refurbished: drafting tables, lockers, display boards, and lecture hall seating.
• Earth & Planetary Sciences Library Draftsman, 1996
Documented existing conditions of the Earth & Planetary Sciences Library, to assist their space planning effort.
• 1996 Presidential Debate Commission Graphic Artist, 1996
Drafted maps of the Washington University Athletic Complex to be included with attendee packets for the 1996 Presidential Debate to be held on campus. The debate did not occur.
AutoCAD Modeler and Drafter · St. Louis, Missouri · In Aug 1996
Drafted preliminary CAD models and drawings in AutoCAD 12 for windows. Published in Adrian Luchini monograph.
Summer Architectural Intern · Chattanooga, Tennessee · Jun 1993 to Aug 1993
Constructed chip board models; documented existing conditions; and manually drafted and lettered drawings. Researched and designed a window manufacturers to design a fenestration pattern to reveal a spiral staircase. Field Surveyed parking and emergency access facilities at Erlanger Medical Center in order to upgrade to new ADA requirements.
Temporary Summer Laborer · Chattanooga, Tennessee · Jun 1992 to Aug 1992
Maintained landscape, cleaned up a hazardous material spill, and performed logistics for a local clothing company