The unit provides a foundation for understanding how to achieve a building with high energy and lighting performance (efficiency and quality), and includes the following learning objectives:
- An understanding of what energy is and how the design of building energy systems impacts both the human experience and the global environment.
- An appreciation of the value of a contextual, holistic approach to building energy system design.
- An understanding of how a building dynamically interacts with its occupants and the local climate, including renewable energy flows.
- Basics for understanding fundamental building energy systems, primarily the building envelope, HVAC, and lighting.
- An awareness of key building energy design tools, methodologies, standards, and sources for additional information.