This unit provides a foundation for the course. In addition to reviewing overall course requirements, the team project, and other course management logistics, this unit will enable students to:
- Understand green building in the context of sustainability
- Articulate the “case” or rationale for green building from an environmental, economic, and social benefit perspective.
- Become knowledgeable about the current state of green building in the region and nationally.
- Understand the role of policy, programs, and projects in market transformation.
- Develop a basic understanding of the key elements of sustainable design and other aspects of delivering a green building.
- Experience the eco-charette process.
- Understand their individual roles with regard to the team project, related activities (paper, presentation), and learning objectives associated with those activities.