This unit provides a foundation for understanding the issues underlying material selection and planning in a sustainable building. It outlines the following:
- Factors in material selection and the issue of trade-offs.
- Resources available to assist in evaluating whether a material is appropriate for a sustainable building project.
- The analytical, systematic, and integrated process one might take to evaluate materials for a project.
- Material considerations when using the LEED rating systems.
- The changing role of material choices on a building’s carbon footprint.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) benefits and limitations.