The importance of “place-based” thinking in achieving truly sustainable development is:
- Understand the over-arching issues and processes driving sustainable land use at regional, local, and site levels.
- Know the importance of transportation planning and siting, and their relationship to sustainability.
- Become familiar with group participation models for planning, development, and design processes.
- Understand the sustainable site planning and design process and principles.
- Practice conducting sustainable site assessment.
- Become familiar with the approaches that different rating systems take to address site issues.