This unit provides a foundation for understanding how to conserve water and protect water quality through the application of sustainable design and water use efficiencies. At the completion of this unit, students will:
- Understand the impacts of conventional site and landscape design, maintenance practices, and the benefits of adopting a natural systems-based approach.
- Be familiar with the challenges and opportunities of sustainable site development patterns.
- Understand outdoor water conservation strategies and practices.
- Employ techniques to reduce impact through landscape layout, plant selection, and placement.
- Become familiar with on-site water management methods, and options for stormwater and wastewater.
- Apply various approaches to indoor water conservation.