Peter Newton, Assoc AIA, CSBA, PMP
Contract Entrepreneur at Independent Architectural Services (Phoenix, AZ)
Independent Architectural ServicesSeptember 2009 – Present (3 years 2 months) • Phoenix, AZ
Networked at business round tables, Chambers of Commerce and professional associations, developing strategic allegiances for non-profits, civic initiatives and funding entrepreneurial projects.
- Documented existing conditions for separate renovation projects for LuPe Designs and Herb Hacker, AIA, and lease stacking plans for a speculative mixed use project for Proteus West.
- Researched financial resources and project opportunities to create a new architecture and urban design partnership, Fourward Architecture.
- Reviewed completed projects to assure compliance with rebate programs.
Skills: networking, Entrepreneur, Business Development, Team Building and Project management, Cross Functional Team Leadership, Cross Organizational Team building, Marketing, Program Management, Organizational Development, Staff Development
Romanoski Glass & MirrorFebruary 2011 – July 2011 (5 months) • Phoenix, AZ
Directed business development and lead generation across the Southwest. Tabled at professional society meetings and conferences to establish and develop relationships with architects and general contractors. Represented the Major Industries product line in the Southern California market, delivering lunch and learn presentations about innovations in day-lighting.
- Design and delivered portfolio presentations for interviewing with General Contractors. The presentations led to the immediate generation of bidding opportunities.
- Researched, prioritized and created a calendar of conferences and professional meetings to create a marketing schedule for senior staff to build relationships with existing and new clients.
- Resolved bid communication problem that were causing Romanoski to miss out on project opportunities. Refined bid room searches to generate more appropriate responses and coordinated contact information that was clear and direct.
Skills: Client Relations Management (CRM), Exhibit Planning, Product Representation, Sales & Marketing, Sales Presentations, Bidding Research, Market Analysis, Seminar Development, Microsoft Office Powerpoint, Portfolio Image Management
Arizona Democratic PartyFebruary 2003 – November 2010 (7 years 9 months) • Phoenix, AZ
Canvassed door to door to register voters, collect signatures and Arizona Clean Elections forms for candidates, and to get out the vote. Recruited, trained and managed volunteers to become Precinct Committeemen. Organized and composed the By-Laws for many political committees, caucuses and clubs. Consulted on multiple campaigns with an expertise on environmental and urban design issues.
- Field Organizer of Precinct Committeeman in Arizona Legislative District 5 in 2004.
- Developed, designed and arranged training materials and sessions across Southern Arizona.
- Judged random hand count sample of the 2012 State of Arizona Presidential Preference Election to verify Electronic Results.
Skills: personable, sales person, data organization, community relations, Development of Marketing campaigns, Compliance, Communication Skills, Logistics, Database Management/Marketing, Canvassing
Jacobs Engineering CompanySeptember 2007 – August 2009 (1 years 11 months) • Phoenix, AZ
Conducted facility conditions assessments to determine maintenance and renovation schedules for the US Air Force in Texas and South Carolina. Directed, trained and mentored staff in the design and construction of retail buildings. Modified retail roll out prototype designs to meet local building codes and design review comments.
- Mitigated a mutually agreeable solution to a FDC issue between the Fire Marshall, contractor and the architectural design.
- Trained and mentored staff in facilities assessment and surveys, receiving commendations from Armstrong Development for our thoroughness.
- Received commendations from CVS/pharmacy for our thoroughness in facilities assessment and surveys of stores acquired through mergers with other pharmacies.
Skills: Business Development, Microsoft Project – Scheduling Program, Training/occupational development, travel, FCIS, Entitlements, Renovation, market research, Project/team leadership, Project Management
Cawley ArchitectsApril 2005 – September 2007 (2 years 5 months) • Phoenix, AZ
Managed the design and construction documents for turnkey commercial, warehouse and retail projects. Worked closely with consultants to coordinate designs to meet client’s needs, including meetings to work out details. Cawley was the primary design firm for a design-build contractor.
- Attended jurisdictional staff and public meetings for the client, to ensure compliance with city requirements and resolution of public issues.
- Master planned several multi-building complexes, creating a coherent and comprehensive sense of place.
- Managed the firm’s only 5 story steel structure, designed to maximize the leasable Class A office space and structural efficiency. Worked closely with the structural engineer to detail attachments for the signature cantilevered, radial curtain wall, the parapet sunscreen and the suspended entry doors.
Skills: Architectural Desktop, Project Management, Jurisdictional Relations, AutoDesk AutoCAD 2007, Master Planning, Construction Documents, Government Meetings, Client Relations, Product Research, Entitlements
America Coming TogetherAugust 2004 – October 2004 (2 months) • Tucson, AZ
Canvassed micro-targeted voters to conduct interviews, document results, and get out the vote.
Skills: Canvassing, Data Entry via PDA, Team Player, Phone Banking, Global Positioning Systems, personable, sales person, interviewing, Data Collection, Data Research
Dean for AmericaDecember 2003 – February 2004 (2 months) • Tucson, AZ
Coordinated canvas walks, phone banks, events, and travel for out of state volunteers and staff for the 2004 Presidential Preference Primary. Volunteered for the Southern Arizona Coordination Committee, organizing fundraisers, Meetups and outreach events. Spoke and tabled for the campaign at Party meetings and clubs.
- Arranged transportation to campaign and Democratic Party events, now a staple of the Pima County Party, and for the Southwestern Voter Express.
- Designed and produced district and voter specific messages and campaign literature.
- Organized the largest political rally in Pima County to that point.
Skills: Public Speaking, Event Organization, historical and political research, Volunteer Management, Multi-line Phone Systems, Canvassing, Employee and Volunteer Training, Employee and Volunteer Communications, Public Relations
Rob Paulus ArchitectFebruary 2003 – June 2003 (4 months) • Tucson, AZ
Designed and developed construction documents for residential, commercial and urban redevelopment projects, including mechanical and electrical designs. Guided projects through the city submittal process.
- Documented, site surveyed and field assessed historic properties to convert them from industrial use to multi-family loft homes
- Designed details for a multi-building office condominium complex to serve as a prototype.
- Resolved design issues for the conversion of a historic Fraternity facility into apartments.
Skills: Regulatory Relations, Reclemaition, Architectural Craft & Innovation, Architectural Detailing, Entitlements, Historic Preservation, Architectural Design, Sustainable Design, Urban Planning, Urban Development
Watkins Hamilton RossSeptember 2000 – August 2002 (1 years 11 months) • Houston, TX
Programmed, space planned, designed and administered contracts for science and research facilities for public and private universities in Texas.
- Coordinated CAD layering and pen weights, and documents on firm’s FTP site for a 170,000 gsf science and research laboratory at the University of Texas.
- Resolved a dimensional issue for a laboratory tenant improvement through forensic investigation of documents. Resolution was to reduce the size of a researcher’s office space.
- Developed a mentoring program involving site visits, travelogues and exhibition tours.
Skills: Document Coordination, Contract Administration, Client Relations, Autodesk Autocad 2000i, Microsoft Office Powerpoint, Microsoft Office Excel, Document Scanners, File Transfer Protocol, Construction Site Visits
The Mathes GroupMarch 1999 – June 2000 (1 years 3 months) • New Orleans, LA
Developed space plans and construction documents for telecommunications facilities, academic building and corporate tenant improvements. Site surveyed buildings and parking facilities for renovation. Now Mathes Brierre Architects.
- Managed the Bellsouth collocation program, reducing response time from 3 weeks to hours, by improving our communications technology and client relations to better develop space plans, cost estimates and facilities assessments.
- Documented and scanned important projects from the firm’s extensive portfolio to redesign project winning marketing and firm sponsored seminar materials.
- Developed 3-D CAD models to base marker renderings for a competition entry.
Skills: Sales & Marketing, Account Management, Competition Entry Preparation, AutoDesk AutoCAD R14, proposal writing, Archival Development, productivity, Marker Renderings, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook
Olde New Orleans Design Group, Inc.October 1998 – March 1999 (5 months) • Harvey, LA
Designed single family, “Southern Style,” custom homes for the Gulf Coast region. Designs included lighting, electrical and framing layouts. The most popular designs were adapted for on-line home plan sales.
- Developed and maintained CAD Library of most common details to improve productivity.
- Researched rigid steel frame construction and adapted the technology to match our New Orleans based aesthetic.
- Designed model homes for a subdivision.
Skills: Adobe PageMaker 6.5, Business/Marketing Planning, CAD Library Development and Maintenance, AutoDesk AutoCAD R14, Adobe Photoshop, Reproductions, Home Design, customer service/sales, internet marketing, Desktop Publishing
Christner, Inc.September 1996 – June 1998 (1 years 9 months) • Clayton county, GA
Employed in the Corporate and Education Studio where I developed space plans and construction documents for school, religious and research facilities, and hospitality and corporate tenant improvements. Developed material and finish boards, color pencil renderings, bluelines, and CAD models for design development.
- Created a continuing education and mentoring program involving architectural tours, lectures, and discussions around PBS videos .
- Established CAD standards as organization switched from AES to AutoCAD R13. Reviewed Softdesk 8.
- Identified and photographed key sustainable design elements for a Grant reporting.
Skills: AutoDesk AutoCAD R13, Space Planning, Colored Pencil Rendering, 3D CAD Modeling, Softdesk 8, AES, Reproductions, EDUCATION AND TRAINING, Construction Documentation, Architectural Design
Franklin Associates ArchitectsJune 1993 – August 1993 (2 months) • Chattanooga, TN
Constructed chip board models; documented existing conditions; and manually drafted and lettered drawings. Researched and designed a window manufacturers to design a fenestration pattern to reveal a spiral staircase. Field Surveyed parking and emergency access facilities at Erlanger Medical Center in order to upgrade to new ADA requirements.
Skills: Chipboard Building Modeling, Surveying, Product Research and data analysis, ADA Compliance, Hand Drafting, Hand Lettering, Archival Research, Architectural Design
- Cross Organizational Team building
- AutoDesk AutoCAD
- Desktop Publishing
- Graphic Design – Print and Electronic
- Social Networking
- Graphic Design/Art
- Public Communication
- Microsoft Office
- Architectural Design
- Organizational Leadership
- Event Organization
- Business Development
- Communication Skills
- Account Management
- Interpret blueprints & project drawings
- Project/team leadership
- Microsoft Project
- Project Management
- Sustainable Design
- Sales Presentations
- historical and political research
- Conference Planning
- Business travel
- Adobe PageMaker 6.5
- Business/Marketing Planning
- CAD Library Development and Maintenance
- AutoDesk AutoCAD R14
- Adobe Photoshop
- Home Design
- customer service/sales
- internet marketing
- Sales & Marketing
- Competition Entry Preparation
- proposal writing
- Archival Development
- Marker Renderings
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- AutoDesk AutoCAD R13
- Space Planning
- Colored Pencil Rendering
- 3D CAD Modeling
- Softdesk 8
- EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Construction Documentation
- Document Coordination
- Contract Administration
- Client Relations
- Autodesk Autocad 2000i
- Microsoft Office Powerpoint
- Microsoft Office Excel
- Document Scanners
- File Transfer Protocol
- Construction Site Visits
- Regulatory Relations
- Architectural Craft & Innovation
- Architectural Detailing
- Historic Preservation
- Urban Planning
- Urban Development
- Architectural Desktop
- Jurisdictional Relations
- AutoDesk AutoCAD 2007
- Master Planning
- Construction Documents
- Government Meetings
- Product Research
- Microsoft Project – Scheduling Program
- Training/occupational development
- market research
- Safety Training with Hazardous Material
- Lawn Care
- Yard work
- Heavy lifting
- Tracking products
- Chipboard Building Modeling
- Product Research and data analysis
- ADA Compliance
- Hand Drafting
- Hand Lettering
- Archival Research
- Sheet Metal
- wood working
- Office Management
- Multi-line Phone Systems
- Property Maintenance
- Equipment Maintenance
- Heavy filing
- CAD Modeling
- AutoDesk AutoCAD R12 for Windows
- Architectural Theory
- Public Speaking
- Volunteer Management
- Employee and Volunteer Training
- Employee and Volunteer Communications
- Public Relations
- Data Entry via PDA
- Team Player
- Phone Banking
- Global Positioning Systems
- sales person
- Data Collection
- Data Research
- data organization
- community relations
- Development of Marketing campaigns
- Database Management/Marketing
- Client Relations Management (CRM)
- Exhibit Planning
- Product Representation
- Bidding Research
- Market Analysis
- Seminar Development
- Portfolio Image Management
- Team Building and Project management
- Cross Functional Team Leadership
- Program Management
- Organizational Development
- Staff Development
- Design Sensibility
- Auto CAD R11
- Model Building
- Freehand Drawing
- architectural history
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- National Historic Trust for Preservation
- Washington University Alumni Group
- Docomomo U.S.A.
- Modern Architecture Preservation
- Fine Art