Volunteer Experience & Causes
Intern/Associate Event Organizer, Conference Planner, and Construction Tour Organizer; Phoenix Section Programs Director; and AIA New Orleans Communications Director
February 1997 – Present (15 years 11 months)Arts and Culture
Programmed Inaugural Intern/Associates’ State Conferences for AIA Arizona, AIA Louisiana and the Texas Society of Architects. Developed and coordinated Continuing Education programs for AIA St. Louis, AIA New Orleans, AIA Houston and AIA Phoenix Metro. Organized Arizona ArchiPAC “Breakfast of Champions” fundraisers for supported political candidates. Designed and published AIA New Orleans Newsletter and Meeting Notices.
• Developed a mentoring sessions with Steven Erhlich, FAIA and Samuel Mockbee, FAIA, at the AIA Louisiana “On the Ledge” Conference.
• Appointed AIA Phoenix Metro Phoenix Section Chair to develop programs with City of Phoenix Departments (including a Phoenix College Revit Bootcamp) and tour recent projects.
• Drafted AIA St. Louis letter of support for the renovation of the historic Statler and Lenox Hotels to become the new St. Louis Convention Center hotel. The letter was the cited by the National Parks Service for why the project was selected for integral tax credits for its completion.
Advocacy Vice-Chair, General Circle and Governing Council Member
2006 – Present (6 years)Environment
Severed as Vice-Chair of the Advocacy Committee to develop the Chapter’s Policy Position Paper and Call to Action Procedures. Served as Liaison to the National Organization for Advocacy and Campaign initiatives.
● Organized efforts to support SB 1403 (economic legislation developed by the Greater Phoenix Economic Council), and gave updates to membership concerning changes in Green codes and Legislation.
● Planned and organized the First Annual Member Meeting.
● Appointed to serve on Governing Council
Living Environments Committee
1997 – 1998 (1 year)Economic Empowerment
Planned and developed programs, to create grassroots efforts by young professions to stay and revitalize St. Louis through entrepreneurship and arts.
● Plotted a Bike Route along city streets to connect Forest Park, Grand Center, St. Louis University, downtown and the Arch.
● Led small group discussions about the revitalization of Downtown St. Louis for Downtown Now!
● Painted murals on boarded up buildings to create visual interest in revitalization.
Causes you care about:
- Arts and Culture
Organizations you support:
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- National Organization for Minority Architects
- U.S. Green Building Council
- USGBC AZ Central Branch
- Project Management Institute
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans
- Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc.
- Phoenix Art Museum
- Modern Phoenix
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
- The Heard Museum
- Modern Architecture Preservation Project
- Arizona Democratic Party
- Washington University in St. Louis
- DOCOMOMO US
- Rice Design Alliance