Peter Newton, Assoc AIA, CSBA
Architectural Project Manger
firstname.lastname@example.org – 602.332.3517
As an aspiring architect, I aim to design more creative and contemplative spaces through public
participation and employment. I have experience in project management, design and construction,
architecture and planning, public policy, urban design, community creation, and sustainable design. I
have organized meetings and events to discuss issues pertinent to projects and community involvement.
I have lead community discussions to develop public policy concerning sustainability and urban design.
I work with community participants to ensure shared responsibility.
I have professional experience, in all phases of architecture, working on large and small projects. My
portfolio of projects include places where people live, work, contemplate, educate and play. I have
worked for large firms across multiple offices and divisions, and with sole practitioners. I have master
planned, investigated historic structures, and designed custom projects.
I have participated in International competitions and community design charrettes. I developed
professional development programs for offices, AIA and USGBC Chapters, and workforce development
courses. I have been a member of. I have lectured on architecture, urban revitalization, sustainability,
and professional development.
Hospitality; Single & Multi-Family Residential; Workspaces; K12; Recreation; Religious; Civic; Research,
Science & Technology; Retail; Telecommunications; Higher Education; Adaptive Reuse; Urban Design;
Industrial; Master Planning; Mixed Use; Military; Historic Preservation; Conditions Assessment
Independent Architectural Entrepreneur and Event Organizer
Fourward Architecture – Phoenix, AZ
July 2003 to Present
* Assessed, surveyed and drafted existing conditions for a mission revival designed home for LuPe
Design and Herb Hacker, AIA.
* Collaborated with three talent architects to develop a new architecture and urban design firm: Fourward
* Researched financial resources to create business & fund projects, by networking at small business
round tables & Chambers of Commerce, developing strategic allegiances to develop teams for
competition and larger projects.
* Represented the client while having their landscape reworked.
* Reviewed completed projects to assure compliance with rebate programs.
Community Liaison-Business Development Manager
Romanoski Glass & Mirror – Phoenix, AZ
January 2011 to July 2011
* Directed business development in the Arizona, El Paso, Los Angeles and New Mexico markets, tabling
at professional society meetings.
* Established relationships with architects and general contractors, developing portfolio presentations to
demonstrate our capabilities for design assist expertise in division 8 assemblies.
* Represented the Major Industries product line in the Southern California market, giving innovated
strategies for day-lighting lunch & learn presentations.
* Developed a plan for the redesign of the website for marketing
* Resolved bid communications issues
Contract Political Canvaser
Arizona Democratic Party – Arizona
July 2003 to November 2010
* Canvassed door to door to register voters and get out the vote for 2010 campaign.
* Field Organized Democrats in Arizona’s Legislative District 5 during 2004 Campaign.
* Organized, trained and collected signatures for Democratic Candidates for public office and Precinct
* Organized & wrote the By-Laws for the White Mountain Democratic Club
* Mediated a dispute between the Northern Gila County & Miami-Globe Democratic Clubs
NRFU Enumerator Trainee
US Census Bureau – Phoenix, AZ
June 2010 to July 2010
* Located listed addresses in the Assignment Area.
* Conducted interviews to determine the status of each address on Census Day.
* Recorded the information provided by the respondent.
Architectural Job Captain
Jacobs Engineering (formerly Carter & Burgess) – Phoenix, AZ
September 2007 to August 2009
Carter and Burgess was acquired by Jacobs Engineering in late 2007.
* Conducted facility conditions assessments to determine maintenance and renovation schedules for
military clients in Texas and South Carolina.
* Researched RFPs, attending proposal meetings.
* Directed, trained and developed new and existing production staff to design and create construction
documents for retail roll out programs and retail centers.
* Modified prototype design to meet local buildings codes & design review comments, coordinating
changes with consultant engineers
* Researched & produced entitlement documentation
Project Manager II
Cawley Architects – Phoenix, AZ
April 2005 to September 2007
* Managed the design and construction documentation of turnkey light commercial, industrial and retail
projects: reviewing drawings and coordinating consultants.
* Attended jurisdictional meetings with the clients, to ensure compliance.
* Master planned multi-building complexes
* Managed the firm’s first 5 story steel structure, working closely with the structural engineer.
America Coming Together – Tucson, AZ
August 2004 to October 2004
* Phoned targeted voters.
* Canvassed targeted voters micro-targeted to get out the vote.
* Conducted interviews and recorded provided information.
Deputy Southern Arizona Campaign Coordinator
Dean for America – Tucson, AZ
April 2003 to February 2004
* Volunteered on the Southern Arizona Coordination Committee, organizing fundraisers & speaking for
the campaign at events.
* Coordinated campaign canvas walks, phone banks, events and Presidential Preference Primary day
* Organized bus trips to campaign events.
* Coordinated volunteers & campaign staff coming to Arizona.
* Organized the largest political rally in Pima County to that point.
Rob Paulus, Architect – Tucson, AZ
February 2003 to June 2003
* Engaged in residential, commercial, and Urban Redevelopment projects.
* Drafted mechanical and electrical designs for single family dwellings, coordinating with licensed
* Designed & developed construction documents.
* Documented, site surveyed & field assessed historic properties to convert them from industrial use to
multi-family loft homes.
* Conducted the city submittal process.
Architectural Intern III
Watkins Hamilton Ross Architects – Houston, TX
September 2000 to August 2002
* Programmed, space planned, designed and documented projects for public and private universities
* Coordinated CAD files, layering, & pen weights between consultants to develop CAD standards for
review and Coordination.
* Assessed & surveyed existing conditions.
* Contract Administered projects under construction.
* Obtained and assembled data from product representatives to complete architectural designs
Architectural Intern II
Mathes Brierre Architects (formerly The Mathes Group – New Orleans, LA
March 1997 to June 2000
Now Mathes Brierre Architects
* Managed the space planning, design, contract documents and close out procedures for the Bellsouth
collocation program, reducing response time from 3 weeks to 3 hours, through improving technology
and facility data.
* Documented and scanned important projects from the firms extensive portfolio in order to design project
winning marketing proposals, site-selection seminar hand outs and compose entry boards for state AIA
* Developed procedures to translate and convert CAD files from associated firms to meet our CAD
* Site surveyed buildings & parking facilities for renovation, developing 3-d models for design study.
* Created 3-D CAD models to base renderings for a competition entry.
Olde New Orleans Design Group, Inc. – New Orleans, LA
October 1998 to March 1999
* Designed lighting, electrical and framing layouts.
* Documented and designed single family “Southern Style” custom design-build homes.
* Developed and maintained marketing materials and CAD Library.
* Researched & Developed rigid metal frame residential construction prototypes for the harsh Gulf Coast
* Designed model homes for a subdivision.
Architectural Intern I
Christner, Inc – St. Louis, MO
September 1996 to June 1998
* Developed construction documents, space plans, material and finish schedules and colored pencil
* Created a Continuing Education program involving Architectural tours, lectures, and videos.
* Established CAD standards, reviewing Softdesk 8.
* Made bluelines.
* Constructed CAD models as a base for hand renderings.
College Work Study
Washington University in St. Louis – St. Louis, MO
August 1992 to August 1996
Office Assistant to the School of (Fine) Art(s) Dean’s Assistant:
* Filed and maintained confidential information, including payroll, regarding donors, alumni, faculty, staff
* Prepared event, fund raising and recruitment mailings.
* Created a system to sort, file, preserve & destroy documents in the school’s archives
School of Architecture Shop Monitor:
* Instructed and assisted students in the proper use of shop equipment
* Inventoried, cleaned and maintained equipment.
* Designed and constructed 1 permanent and 12 relocatable computer workstations, multiple steel cubic
modular table stands, 3 replica and 3 refurbished conference tables.
* Cleaned, maintained and refurbished: studio desks, lockers, pinup boards, tables, chairs, stools, table
stands and lecture hall seating.
Earth & Planetary Sciences Library Draftsman:
* Documented existing conditions of the Earth 7 Planetary Sciences Library
* Provided drawings to assist the Library’s space planning effort.
1996 Presidential Debate Commission Graphic Artist:
* Drafted maps of the Washington University Athletic Complex to be included with attendee packets for
the 1996 Presidential Debate to be held on campus. The debate did not occur.
Certification in Revit, Sustainability
Phoenix College – Phoenix, AZ
January 2010 to January 2011
PMP Certification in Project Management
Training to You – Phoenix, AZ
January 2010 to January 2011
BA in Architecture
Washington University – St. Louis, MO
January 1992 to January 1996
College Coursework in AP Classes
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga – Chattanooga, TN
January 1991 to January 1993
Pre-College in Architecture
Carnegie Mellon University – Pittsburgh, PA
January 1991 to January 1991
Logistics, Modeling, Data Entry, Architectural Desktop, Entitlements, Mitigation, Negotiation, Revit,
Sketch Up, Microsoft Visio, Desktop Publishing, Construction Documentation, AutoCAD, Proficient
in Microsoft Office, Hand Drawing, Architectural Design, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Leadership,
Organizational Leadership, Microsoft Project, Networking, Surveying, Graphic Design, Event Planning,
Community Relations, Code Compliance, Development of Training Materials, Marketing Strategy,
Volunteer Management, Productivity Enhancement, Account Management, Construction Management,
Client Relationship Building, Canvassing, Project Planning, Project Coordination, Project Execution,
Business Travel, Interviewing, Market Research, Presentation Development, Sales Presentations,
Group Presentations, New Business Development, Social Networking, Training & Development,
Trade Show Representation, Conference Coordination, Photography, Public Speaking, Team Building,
Architectural Drafting, Community Engagement, Sustainable Design, Renovation, Master Planning,
Leadership Mentoring, Project Management, Innovation, Political Consulting, LinkedIn
PSI Homesavers Golden Hammer Award
* Organized a committee of Architectural Interns through AIA Houston to weatherize homes in Houston.
* Awarded for going above and beyond in our efforts to provide a safe and weatherized home.
AIA National Associates Committee Chapter of the Year
* AIA Houston Associates Committee was awarded the inaugural “Chapter of the Year Award” for their
efforts to assist Interns learn about IDP, the ARE, and gain professional training.
* Organized the PSI Homesavers community service activity
* Organized construction tours of prominent Houston projects in development.
* Lectured to Associate Members, students and professionals, about the “Road to Registration”.
* Worked with Associate Committees throughout Texas to organize events at the annual Texas Society
of Architects Convention and within their chapters.
USGBC Arizona Chapter Central Branch Advocacy Committee Vice Chair
* Served as Chair when the Chair was not able to attend.
* Represented the committee on the USGBC Arizona Chapter Central Branch General Circle
* Participated in the USGBC National Advocacy monthly conference call.
AIA Phoenix Metro Phoenix Section Committee Chair
* Established and furthered relationships with various City of Phoenix Departments.
* Scheduled programs to assist the City and the Membership in creating successful projects.
* Organized member led tours to celebrate the creation of successful and innovative architectural
AIA New Orleans Intern/Associate Director
* Elected to the office of Intern/Associate Director.
* Developed programs for Architectural Interns to assist them in their professional growth and become
licensed architects and members of the AIA.
* Designed graphics to advertise for programs.
USGBC Arizona Chapter Central Branch Governing Council Member
* Guide the Strategic future for the organization.
* Planned and organized the First Annual Member Meeting for 2012
* Developed the Chapter’s Policy Position Paper
* Developed Advocacy strategy on Legislation and Municipal Code and policy adoption, 2006-present.
* Serve as Liaison to the National Organization for Advocacy and Campaign initiatives.
1998 St. Louis Young Architect’s Forum Bi-Annual Exhibition
Submitted 2 paintings for exhibition. Both were exhibited and placed on display at the St. Louis Art’s
Washington University Delegate to AIAS Forum
* Selected to represent the chapter at the AIAS ’93 Desert Forum in Phoenix.
* Reviewed and voted of policy for the national organization and attended special tours of Arcosanti,
Cosanti and Taliesin.
* Reported events to the Chapter upon return.
AIA New Orleans Delegate to AIA National Convention
* Selected to be a delegate to the AIA National Convention.
* Represented the views of AIA New Orleans in the elections of the 2001 National leadership and policies.
* Voted in these momentous elections.
Democrats of Greater Tucson Board Member
Elected to the board of the Democrats of Greater Tucson by the membership of the political club.
Prairie View A&M University Studio Critic
Invited by a colleague at Watkins Hamilton Ross Architects to participate in the final studio reviews of
his class at Prairie View A&M.
CANstruction Houston – Structural Integrity
* Constructed a sculpture of can goods to fight hunger.
* Modified the design of the structure to allow it to stand.
AIA Houston Michael Myers Competition Juror
Judged the Michael Myers Competition, an architectural competition for high school students.
RDA Charrette: Home Honorable Mention
* Participated in a charrette concerning homelessness.
* Proposed a flexible tower that could be built out or deconstructed, as needed, to provide housing. The
tower would serve as a measure as to the amount of homelessness in the Houston area.
USGBC Arizona Certificate of Appreciation
Recognition for outstanding volunteer work in the year 2011 with the Arizona Chapter of the U.S. Green
Sustainable Building Adviser (CSBA)
August 2011 to Present
December 2008 to December 2011
Project Management Profession (PMP)
American Institute of Architects
March 1997 to Present
* Served as Committee and Sub-Committee Chair in multiple chapters: AIA Louisiana, AIA Houston,
Texas Society of Architects, AIA Arizona, AIA Phoenix Metro.
* Participated in many Chapter meetings: AIA Los Angeles, AIA Pasadena-Foothills, AIA South Bay-
Long Beach, AIA Southern Arizona, AIA Grand Canyon, AIA Western Mountain Region, AIA Central
States, AIA Gulf States
* Nominated and Elected to leadership positions with AIA St. Louis and AIA New Orleans.
US Green Building Council Arizona Chapter
September 2006 to Present
* Supported and organized campaign to support SB 1403.
* Gave updates to membership concerning changes in Green codes and Legislation.
* Planned and organized the First Annual Member Meeting.
Rice Design Alliance
October 2000 to October 2002
* Attended all RDA lectures while in Houston.
* Participated in the Charrette: Home and Astrodome Charette.
* Attended Symposiums and special talks.
Preservation Resource Center
November 1998 to November 2000
Attended home and stained glass window tours, along with lectures and talks.
Project Management Institute (PMI)
September 2010 to Present
* Attended PMI-Phoenix sponsor PMP Study Group.
* Attend monthly meeting and PDM events.
* Network at Social events.
National Historic Trust for Preservation
March 1997 to Present
Washington University Alumni Association
January 2001 to Present
* Attended events sponsored by the Association.
* Interviewed potential students for admission to the School of Architecture.
* Organized programs with alumni office.
June 2006 to Present
* Suggested Reed Kroloff, AIA, as a speaker for the Modern Phoenix Expo.
* Registered people for the annual home tour.
* Suggest programs and speakers for events each year.
Modern Architecture Preservation Project – Tucson
September 2004 to Present
* Participated in the MAPP organizing committee.
* Advertise their work to Modern Phoenix.
* Attend their tours and events when able to be in Tucson.
October 2010 to Present
* Participated in trainings about networking and business relationship building.
* Attend the Signature Events.